Thursday, January 28, 2010

Barefoot Running

With my quest to become a perfect packer athletic shoes became one of the first big questions. How does one escape the confines of bulky running shoes without going out and buying something brand new? Over the last few months I’ve been finding myself reading a lot of articles about running barefoot, and while in Austin, I found myself running behind a girl wearing crazy-looking minimalist shoes at the2.5 mile fun run Kirsten and I were doing. I had to find out more…

The basic premise of barefoot running is that the over-cushioning effect of specially designed running shoes actually promotes injury because the muscles of the legs and feet no longer have to work to stabilize a runner’s body. I am particularly drawn to the idea due to my biology background. Think about it, humans have been running and walking for millennia without Nikes, and it has really only been in the last 30 years that the athletic shoe has really come into popular usage. Any industry is created out of a perceived “lack,” and the athletic shoe industry filled the niche created by the idea that more cushioning and specific support features (like an anti-pronation, rigid part of the sole) would reduce injury and realign the body of a runner. However, recent studies and a not-so underground movement have come out suggesting that running shoes might produce the exact opposite results.

Running barefoot, without any kind of protection between my feet and concrete (or the nasty hotel treadmills), doesn’t really appeal to me, but that is why the market has created things like callous shoes. Basically these odd-looking rubber gloves for your allow your feet and leg muscles to stabilize and engage fully as if you were running barefoot, while providing a barrier between your delicate 21st century soles and the surface you’re running on. Give the market any kind of lack, and it will produce a $75+ product for your consumption.

Not being interested in throwing down serious cash on a whim, I pulled out my own version to assist in my packing lighter endeavors and to give this a shot. These little Nike mary-jane sneakers have been in my closet for ages. The soles are thin and unsupportive, and I’d added some superfeet insoles to provide a little more of a transitional cushioning and support. I would not really be running barefoot, and if the running proved to be uncomfortable, using an elliptical machine or stationary bike should still be comfortable with the support of the insoles. I chickened out and used the elliptical for most of the first week on the road, and then on Friday I tried out a treadmill.
my version of minimalism

Immediately I could feel the difference. I quickly switched from the usual heel-toe foot pattern of jogging to landing with the ball of my foot and then my heel. I also felt like running faster than I had with my Asics (although generally I am a much slower treadmill runner than road runner in general, I was up 0.5mph on my average speed by the end of the half hour workout, and this speed increase has been consistent over additional workouts).

Most interestingly, I could feel my body in a way I never had running previously. Side-to-side movement has always made treadmill running tricky for me, but as I felt my body more acutely, I was able to run straighter. I felt a distinct misalignment in my hips, as if one leg were longer than the other. I got of the treadmill and stretched my hips until the alignment felt right, and I could clearly feel when it was right. It was almost a yogic experience, because my muscles were so awakened by the new technique and my mind was so focused on noticing the differences. Post-workout, I was intensely sore in a way running never makes me sore. I had run 2.5 miles, adding in a little slight incline at times, but it was nothing more strenuous than what I had done in both Austin and in Seattle over break. The Asics have not made it back into my suitcase since then.

Now for the disclaimers: I only run on average 1-2 miles when I get on a treadmill so I can imagine that running or training for longer distances would be a completely different can of worms. There still needs to be more long-term studies on this technique, especially considering the long-term high-impact effect on joints. But for me, this is amazing. I love the meditative quality of feeling my body react, and since I’m running on a relatively low-impact surface for short distances for only a few more months, I don’t suspect I’ll have any dire long-term complications.

Has anyone else heard of this new running theory? Anyone else trying it with success? Should I stop this little experiment and either stick to the elliptical or throw the real running shoes back in my suitcase? Or have the shoe companies just found another way to potentially sell you a new product?

6 comments:

Maureen said...

Ookay, you clearly have better ankles. Those shoes (either pictured) would be a little version of hell for me any day, regardless of running or walking. Any kind of flat shoe makes me want to cry after a few hours. Why not just run in jazz or ballet shoes then? Those are minimalist/made for movement of the feet. And cheap!

Maureen said...

P.S. You are totally a sucker for a new product. ;)

ari said...

I do have strong ankles, and that could be a reason why this could be working for me. I've left the superfeet in my shoes to try to be transitional, but I think I want to pull them out already since they're starting to feel like they are in the way.

BALLET SHOES!!! Why did I not think of that?! Those sound perfect for running on a treadmill. Most of the minimalist shoes designed for asphalt running have rubber soles (since it holds up longer) to simply prevent glass shards and rocks and things from cutting your feet, but I just need something between me and the grodiness that is a hotel gym.

and to the PS--I'm solution focused and OCD about my packing... and cheap. I do NOT want to spend $75 on creepy looking "shoes." ;)

downwitda said...

Maureen: I think that maybe the flat shoes "make [you] want to cry after a few hours" because of what Adrian mentioned towards the top of the post: the use of tennis shoes can, in some instances of running, leave our foot and leg muscles weaker than without shoes.

Adrian: From what I have read and heard from others (including my sister, a Sports Medicine student), barefoot running is very enjoyable and its effects are great, but only on surfaces that are conducive to a lower impact (dirt, clay, and etc...). While treadmills may have more give than pavement, it may be worth considering that long term "barefoot" style running on them might not be that great either. However, you did say that you only run a couple miles at a time and only tend to use the treadmills while traveling, so it probably isn't an issue in your case.

I'm not much of a runner myself (love sports, just not running for running's sake), so everything I've heard about this comes from other sources and is obviously still a topic of debate among scientists and researchers, so who knows, right? If it feels good to you, I'd say, with enthusiasm, "Keep it up!"

kiiirrrsten said...

My pink foldable shoes are Nike Airs. I love them. They make me feel very, very happy on the treadmill and certain less sketchy hotel neighborhoods. I concur however, that this happiness zone only exists up to 5 miles. After that distance, I start feeling some discomfort in my knees and bursitis hip. (As a former competitive 5ker and marathon runner, that might just be me.) It's a good reminder that most human bodies are not designed to withstand distance running, despite running culture's democratization of it. I could go on...but this isn't my blog to hijack! Keep up the posts, my sweet :)

Lisasadventures said...

I have to admit that I do like the idea of this...but as a slightly longer-distance runner, it just makes my back hurt. (I'm just now catching up on your blog) I only just bought myself a new pair of inserts for my running shoes after using the other pair for over a year (on the advice of the person employed by Roadrunner in AZ). My back has been aching for over a week which I want to blame on the lack of support in my inserts and Brooks shoes but to be completely honest, my back always aches after anything over 3 miles. So as much as I'd love to try out this barefoot running, I'm thinking it would literally break my back...