Friday, February 29, 2008

coming full circle

So my CSA adventure started off rather well, with almost all of the veggies used up by the time yesterday's box rolled around. Cooking becomes an adventure in "where can I hide the vegetable?" when your crisper drawer is overflowing. This week I have quite the lovely assortment of delectable organic produce:

cucumbers
red onions
celery
carrots
zucchini
russet potatoes
spinach
broccoli
Texas Honeygold grapefruit
kiwi
braeburn apples

So, my eyes wander over the list, and what do I think? Minestrone! That's the only way to get rid of zucchini without masking it in gallons of soy sauce or baking it into a bread. So far, the onions and spinach (along with some ham I had, and some farmer's market eggs) have produced a VERY tasty omelette. I keep forgetting to write what I'm doing in my food journal, which is sad. But I'm going to try to update a few things from last week in it (including mushroom & broccoli fettuchini alfredo, braised lamb with vegetables, and potato & sunchoke gratin). Turns out cooking can be fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was looking at your goals and if you want some help choosing non-fiction books, I've been reading some/finding some that we could discuss next time we're both online and/or in Seattle (but that's a ways off, ha).

I want to write more. Is that one of your goals somewhere?

ari said...

I'd definitely love some suggestions! I've had a hard time reading lately, and it's driving me nuts. I just finally finished "Eat, Pray, Love" which is technically non-fiction, but any suggestions (and the commitment to talk about it after finishing it) would help me get back on track.

I do have some writing goals in there somewhere, including a short-story writing goal, NaNoWriMo (which I'm terrified of), and some poetry writing goals. I see the NaNoWriMo as more of a "let's finish a novel/novella by the end of november" rather than a 30-day challenge since I'm working. But definitely, a writing buddy would help me get started on some of this stuff rather than putting it off. :)

Stefan said...

Cooking is so much fun - I just wish it wasn't such a process with preparing, cooking, and cleaning.

I'm going to start having dinner parties as an excuse to cook, be social and dress up a little if you'd like to come and bring a small dish.