Tuesday, June 17, 2008

transportation gods


Mode of Transportation
Originally uploaded by arirose
Somebody up there really hates me. All I want to do is bike to work and I am just not having any luck. First I got a cold the first week of June and sniffles + rainy biking = yucky yucky yucky. I got over the cold quicky because I didn't bike, but then the following Monday, I head out in my newly healthy state, and get a flat tire on the way home. Since it was the rear tire, it was too daunting to fix on the side of the road, so I waited and waited and waited for a bus. It came 20 minutes late. Little did I know what was to follow...

Fixing the tire seemed easy enough, until a brake pad fell off after trying to replace the wheel. Then the other break pad fell off. Then the tire wouldn't go in straight. Then I lost the nut for one side of the wheel for 2 hours, finding it improbably tucked into a part of the bike when I KNOW I had put it on the towel on the floor to not lose it. Then the breaks were still messed up and the tire uneven. Thursday night I got it all back in working order, only to go home to b-town for Father's day festivities.

Last night, in all the glorious sunshine that was about to fade, I left work late. I was dying for my bike, but I was heading home via bus due to my weekend bag still with me. Little did I know a fire had knocked out the electrical lines for the bus I normally take. After waiting almost 35 minutes, and missing two connecting busses, I finally had an alternate bus show up, grabbed it, and caught the long bus home. For a typically no-more-than 45 minute trip, it took an hour and 40 minutes.

So today, I'm not about to trust the busses. I head down to the bike cage and grab my bike to head out. Only, something feels wrong. I look down and the rear tire is flat. AGAIN. This time after I flip the bike over (and get coated in grease again) I discover a small piece of glass stuck in the tire. I had done a thorough once-over on the tire to check it after the previous flat, and there was nothing, or at least I didn't see anything. So after a few moments, I realize it's more trouble to fix the tire in a rush than to go upstairs, change and run to the bus. THEN as the bus is pulling up to the transfer point, I watch as my connecting bus pulls away from the sidewalk.

My god. What did I do to get this kind of Karma?

No comments: