Saturday, June 21, 2008

bands, booze, and a crazy french dude

I am the first to admit it, I am a groupie for a band with perhaps the worst band name ever... wait for it... Handful of Luvin'. And yes, I have now attended 4 shows that they have performed at. Honestly, they sound so much better live I haven't bought their CD's and who in their right mind would want a t-shirt that says "Handful of Luvin" on it? So I figure I support the band through cover charges (even though I didn't pay one last night), and simply showing up and bringing different friends every time. Like Friday night, I introduced KAL to their music (and the violinist with the broody eyes, which of course sets my heart a flutter). Little did I know what the night had in store for us.

We got to Fado early, had a couple beers and talked for a good hour. When the band started, we both listened to them play and watched the really amusing groupie-boys who were right up in front of the band, dancing like they were epileptics or swinging their arms off-beat. Overall, it was awesome. I was definitely buzzed from not having eaten a large dinner, and KAL was feeling it too.

Then I got a tap on my shoulder, and all hell broke loose.

Generally I refuse drinks offered to me at a bar because I'm too nice to not talk to the guy for a while, and then the situation gets awkward because I never feel comfortable talking to random guy who is buying me drinks to hopefully make out with me at some point that night.... but due to whatever reason, and the fact that KAL doesn't turn down drinks, we soon had two Mac'n'Jacks in front of us. The guy talks to us, with a strong accent that I soon recognize as French. We talk, and he seems cool enough... but there's always the "in town just for tonight" and the flirtatious touches that get me put on edge. Soon enough he's got his hands on my back, shoulders, whatnot and is trying to kiss my neck, cheek, etc... For whatever reason, I am cracking up at the situation, and rather than running immediately for the exit, which I normally would have done, I kinda put up with it. I try to brush him off so that I can listen to the band, but he is continually making a pull at me towards my lips.

Eventually, I'm tired of it to the point where I don't want to stick around to listen anymore, and Kirsten and I walk to the bathroom laughing, and out to the sidewalk to wait for the bus. Ten minutes later, after being cat-called from a cruising car with VERY shiny wheels, out walks my frenchman, cigarette in hand. KAL does a good job monopolizing the conversation for my sake, but he cannot be dissuaded from grabbing my face. Finally the bus comes, and I ride one stop the wrong direction just to finally get away from the guy who would have insisted on walking me to my bus stop had I not run away.

I get off the south-bound bus in Pioneer Square and have to walk the 3 blocks to my bus stop. I put on my "Fuck-off" vibe extra strong, and walk straight past a group of club-bound guys who whistle and "hey baby where ya going?" at me as I walk towards them, and mutter "Oh, so COLD..." as I walk off without even so much as looking up. I get a kick out of that too really... I'm all kinds of weird when it comes to the opposite sex. I find all these dating and mating rituals utterly disconcerting one day, and fabulously hilarious the next. I guess really I like being in a position of power, getting to be the rejector is far more fun than being rejected.

So overall, it was a hilarious night and much fun hanging out with a good buddy, while creating a fun story. Only one problem... I still didn't talk to broody-eyed violin boy. Who's up for concert #5? :P

No comments: