Thursday, November 19, 2009

Isolated Self-Portraits

It turns out, it's tricky learning how to take decent photos of yourself while you're completely alone. Asking strangers isn't going to give you any more than one shot and half the time, no one is around to help. So I've tried a few other things in the last two days:

#1--Framed mirror portrait.
The Outfit:
  • Black Pants (Gap, ancient)
  • Blue and white print blouse (Old Navy, thrifted)
  • Oatmeal swing cardigan (Ann Taylor, thrifted)
  • Belt (thrifted)
  • Yellow headband (Fuego)
  • White plastic earings (gift)
This was my attempt to show that I tried belting my new cardigan. I'm not sure it worked that well, since I looked a bit floppy around the midsection... potentially creating that "preggers" silhouette that I end up with so easily if anything has an empire waist. Since I didn't have any natural light, the photo ended up horribly colored, but I like the framing.

#2--Moving furniture to act as a tripod near natural light.

The Outfit:
  • Black Pants (Again)
  • Black and white print shell top (H&M, from a clothing swap)
  • Ivory cardi (Nordstroms)
  • Black headband (Fuego)
  • Pearl drop earings (gift)
  • Black buckle flats (Nine West, Thrifted)
One thing I've noticed: I didn't spend money on pretty much anything I'm wearing. The pants were hand-me-ups, the cardi was purchased with my nordstrom rebate coupons last fall, the headband and the shoes were each less than $4. This is ubsurd. Both of these outfits cost me under $10 (except the Report Wedges that you can't see in the first photo, those were real money). I've always gazed at fashion blogs and cringed at what it would cost to buy all those pieces, but now I can clearly see that this is not the case. It's all about your own wardrobe, and finding your style within that. Although, I'm nearing the one week mark of things living in my suitcase, and it's starting to show a bit.

In other news: Grand Rapids' downtown has stolen my heart. It is so freaking adorable and has so many restaurants that look spectacular! I had lunch from the Pita House, and it was mighty fine. I've been posting about my restaurant experiences at BERfoodblog.blogspot.com (the link is to the right as well), and I've had some doozies. Check out my post about southern food in Detroit, and if anyone thinks they can make sweet potato muffins, CALL ME.

Last night I ended up eating at my hotel after getting wine ($2 off wine on wednesday!) and enjoying the free wi-fi in the lobby, but it was the Amway Grand Hotel, and luckily the food was pretty grand as well. Anyone else notice that the nicer the hotel, the more you have to pay for every little thing? It stinks. Why would some random holiday inn in Fishkill give you free wireless and not the Amway Grand?! The Amway Grand does have amazing bathtubs though, one can immerse fully, and closets big enough to sleep in. I guess you win some you lose some.

P.S. Just because it's local wine doesn't mean it's good.

No comments: