Friday, November 13, 2009

The Nagging Netbook Conundrum

Cross posted on Facebook, because I really do want to know what people think...

A question for anyone who knows/cares: Would a netbook be a worthy purchase? My 6lb MacBook weighs me down and I’m not about to buy an Air, but I’m starting to wonder if a $250 netbook would allow me to blog, catch up on my shows, skype, and browse the internets sufficiently to make me want to deal with Windows. I could also switch to using hotel business centers (often dirty, dank, suffocatingly warm rooms with ancient hardware), but that won’t allow for skype, working on documents without eternally emailing them to myself (or using google docs), or watching TV shows in my room or at the desk. My phone does a lot, but it doesn’t have a real keyboard or a way to pull photos off of my actual camera. In my happy little mental world, I’d get a cheap, colorful little netbook and load OSX and iPhoto/iTunes onto it, so that it would be able to run all the programs I already have figured out. Yet, I’m suspecting that since the little computers lack A) the DVD drive to load the OS onto the computer, and B) the processing power of my current computer, having my ideal world come together is not going to happen.

So non-techy me has some Technical Questions:
1. If you have a netbook, do you love it? Is it worth it if I already have a laptop?
2. Can you load OSX onto it?
3. Would my phone get angry if I was trying to hook it up to two computers, especially one being Mac, one PC?
4. How complicated would it be to basically sync the two computers together? I’m guessing lots of emailing of documents and jump drives...

If only apple would make a cheap netbook, bigger than the iphone and with a nearly full-sized keyboard... then I’d be a happy camper.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

I can answer 3 and 4. As long as you have itunes loaded onto a computer, it doesn't matter what operating system it's running. Your phone syncs with it the same. You're allowed a certain # of computers to have sync with your phone (5 maybe?) and it'll ask you the first time if you want to add this one to the number of computers allowed. As far as transferring what you have between computers, it shouldn't be hard, you can do it with a flash drive in less than an hour.

Haha, what's your aversion to Windows? It's just another operating system. I doubt you can load OS X onto a netbook that already has Windows, but I'm not sure.

Finally, I bet a current netbook has comparable space to your laptop, if not better, but you'd have (gasp) research it a bit to find out if it has what you want. They all can do what you want to do, which is they were made for someone who wants basic computing needs, including anything on the internet (perhaps the type of computer.. netbook.. gave it away?)

CATALYST said...

I've heard rumors that Apple is going to be coming out with a netbook competitor. Something like a king sized iPhone. You may want to give it some time before jumping ship to the dark side.

OSX won't run on anything but a mac.

downwitda said...

Certain versions of the latest Mac operating systems will work with computers with Intel processors, so it's actually a fairly easy process to install a Mac operating system on what was originally a Windows computer. There are tons of how-to's and tutorials out on the internet and it's even possible to have a dual-boot computer: one that can boot into either Windows, a Mac operating system, or even a Linux distribution (if you're one of THOSE people, heh).

I agree with Maureen in that a netbook will most likely be able to do everything you seem to want out of it and may possibly have more storage space than your current laptop. If not, it would certainly have enough space to function and, if you download larger files fairly often, you may just have to deal with the occasional external hard drive backup on your weekends at home.

It's worth looking into.