Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Never-Ending List of Hobbies

While I’m not doing NaNo this year, I think I still feel the need to get more things written down lately, and thus the reopening of the blog. This job can sap all of the will to live out of me, but there are enough things that I get joy out of that I should be able to manage--if I can find space in my suitcases. This week, I’ve got my moleskine, my three books (novel, self-help, poetry), my knitting project, my computer, my art kit, and my sewing kit just in case I lose my coat buttons. Really, that should be enough to keep me occupied for two weeks, especially considering I want to go out and see the places that I’m going (not so much Akron, but you get the idea). It’s almost too much to bring, but in a way it’s better to have all of these options so that I don’t end up completely absorbed into TV or the internet, or TV on the internet (damn you Hulu).


This week I have an added excitement--an art presenter. I’m really considering sitting in on his seminar, and tomorrow (Thursday) would be the day to do it. I have no paperwork to do, I’m at SERESC, and we’re not exactly in downtown Manchester (the only other place I would go would be to Target, and I really don’t need to fill my suitcase any more than I already have). I really like painting and getting some color down on paper and although sketching isn’t really my thing, I want to see what the seminar covers. I’ve never sat in on a full seminar, or even really sat in on even part of one. I think it’s time to change that up.


Otherwise, in hobby land...

  • I’ve only finished one book this year, a book from the clearance rack of Half-Priced Books: The Memory Keeper’s Daughter. It was an interesting and easy read. Now I’m on to a similar clearance find: The Shipping News.
  • I’m toting along a (lightweight) poetry book in the hopes that I will get around to reading and writing a bit more than prose. Expect that instead of NaNo, I’m going to think of a different challenge involving poetry, probably for December
  • My Knitting is going along fine so far since getting restarted back into it. I finished with a scarf before the BER year started, and now I’m working with a yarn I got in New Zealand. It’s merino and possum and a lovely, soft, deep black scarf is finding its way out of the ball. I’m working with a real pattern this time, a lace called “Branching Out” and I’m on ravelry. I should get going on some christmas gifts though... and put this one aside until those are finished.
  • TV is way too captivating... I have been sucked into Hulu and trying to keep up with the following shows: HIMYM, Big Bang Theory, House, Gossip Girl, Castle, ANTM, Glee, Grey’s Anatomy, Flash Forward, Fringe, The Mentalist, The Office, and 30Rock (thank god Psych went on hiatus). This is ridiculous. Even subtracting out commercials and reducing them 20/40 minute standards, this amounts to over 440 minutes, or over 7.5 hours a week when they are all showing. There are clear winners for what I watch over anything else (Castle, Glee, The Mentalist [due to CBS’s draconian internet posting rules]), what I hurry to catch up on (The Office, Gossip Girl), and what has been going by the wayside (Fringe, 30Rock). In theory, I have an hour to watch every day right? Well, the first 5 show on Monday, then two on Wednesday, and all the rest on Thursday. It’s like one massive tempting block of TV every couple of days... and not much else gets done sometimes.

So that’s what I carry around for entertainment purposes. Add in the yoga mat, resistance band, tennis shoes and swimsuit all curled up and stowed in my checked bag and you’re looking at WAY too many hobbies and not enough time to do them all. When they said I was going to have free time with this job, I took them too much at their word.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Remember how one of your goals is to start into Netflix? They have TV shows on there too.. I'm just saying if you get behind on one or more there's a way to catch up!

downwitda said...

Seriously, HOW do you have room for all that stuff in your carry-on? I don't think I even have room for athletic shoes!

I wish we had a blog where the PMs could post general on-the-road tips, tricks, and info. The "official" blog, set up by the logistics managers, can only be posted to by one of them and can't even be seen through an RSS reader due to its "invite only" status...SILLY. I really love the food blog you started, and have tried to post some of the great places I've found on the road so far, but there are other things I think it would be nice to share that are unrelated to the constant search for cuisine (i.e. photos of luggage, its contents, and how to fit it all in there).