Monday, January 11, 2010

Fashion From a Small Suitcase

With my extremely cramped packing job this last week, I had a limited work wardrobe, yet managed to have three different looks in total, plus my typical traveling outfit of jeans, t-shirt, and cardigan. This is why I love dresses so much and pack them when I’m trying to be really simple. The pink and black dress is jersey and supremely comfortable while the black and white check dress has more flair and fun (thank you Target!) and works perfectly with layering, either underneath or over the top. I utilized my growing headband collection to keep my shaggy hair out of the way until I could get it cut. It turns out that cutting my hair short has caused multiple presenters to comment on my “great style.” In truth, my clothes are not much different from last year, but I think having a style other than long straight hair pulled back in a ponytail is giving the outfits an edge.

Speaking of haircuts, I managed to botch my haircut appointment this weekend, again! I’d blown it over Christmas break by forgetting to book the appointment 3 weeks out, and then discovering my hairstylist at Ten Pachi was on vacation the whole week after Christmas, exactly when I needed the cut anyways. So I attempted to book an appointment for this Saturday, January 9th. Only something happened with my booking (undoubtedly my stupid mistake) and I booked it for January 12th, a day when I’ll be somewhere in Pennsylvania. So I had to find a new appointment to tame the shaggy monster on my head and ended up at the AVEDA institute in Capital hill, where I got a really decent cut for almost nothing! However, I have booked myself an appointment with Rosie at Ten Pachi for the February break (5 weeks ahead) and have plans on searching for one of those haircutting razors to be able to take some of the bulk out of the back of my hair as it grows out over a 6 week cycle. Oh the things one does to have short hair…I miss the ponytails that I used to have, and their ease for working out especially since fan around-the-head headband doesn’t work for my haircut because it’s so short in the back. Last week I was working out with my sparkly rhinestone headband… I got some funny looks. One of these days I’ll start growing it out, but for now I really like it.The gorillapod is definitely fun to work with. Although I’ve gotten some funny looks from people as I set up the pink, bubble-shaped camera stand and then run over to stand with a stupid look on my face and a hand on my hip, it’s made taking these pictures super easy (even if I did crop out my shoes in one of the photos...).

No comments: